INVEST IN WOMEN AND GIRL, AND CHANGE THE WORLD. WE BELIEVE, AND RESEARCH SHOWS, THAT EMPOWERING WOMEN AND GIRLS IMPACTS ENTIRE FAMILIES AND UPLIFTS ENTIRE COMMUNITIES.
To inform the work of The Women’s Fund, a need was identified for data specific to the economic status of women in central Ohio. Beginning in the fall of 2013, to obtain this information The Women’s Fund commissioned Illuminology to conduct research on this topic. By applying a gender lens to the issue of economic security, the financial status of women becomes clear. With this knowledge, together we can begin to create solutions as well as build on existing successes to address these issues as a community.
Are Central Ohio Women Economically Secure?
1 in 4 female single or married female householders in central Ohio are not economically secure.
This means their household has an income that is less than their basic needs budget, translating to nearly 160,000 or 27% of households led by women in central Ohio.
When we look at women who provide sole support for their families, nearly 1 in 2 or 45% (over 100,000) single householder women earn less than needed to meet their basic needs for economic security.
Budgeting for Economic Security
Economic Security is determined in part by a basic needs budget that reflects the level of earnings a family needs to afford basic necessities. Economic Security starts with a basic needs budget.
The basic needs budget includes housing, child care, health care, food, taxes, utilities, transportation and other necessities, without receiving financial or in-kind support from family or governmental sources.
By the numbers
- Women earn 77 cents for every dollar earned by a man.
- Women participate in the work force at a rate of 58%
- Women experience unemployment at a rate of 8%.
- Median income for a woman working full time: $36,476
- Women earn 78 cents for every dollar earned by a man.
- Women participate in the work force at a rate of 63%.
- Women experience unemployment at a rate of 7%.
- Median income for a woman working full time: $40,362